Re: Text disappears in Firefox/Thunderbird

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:15:15 -0700
Alex Hanson <alex%alexhanson.org@localhost> wrote:

> MS fonts are polluted with style details that don't display properly:
>
> Arial:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Π
> »¬³¹±,Kursivoitu,Italique,DÅlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,ÐѸ²,Ä°talik,PoÅ¡evno,nghiêng,Etzana
>
> That was copied from rxvt-unicode. xterm yields garbage too, just in
> ASCII instead of unicode.

That's expected.

> My current Firefox preferences indicate that I want to use the MS fonts.
> Changing the font settings to all use Nimbus Mono L, I experience the
> same result. So the fc-list listing is buggy, but not the source of my
> problem.

Have you tried to start firefox with an alternate, clean, profile?

> 3) I don't have DRI enabled. Is there some other setting I should check for?

There's still 2D acceleration that may be buggy with some chips. For
example the "nv" driver has caused rendering problems in firefox for me
in the past.

Look for something like:

Section "Device"
  Option     "NoAccel" "True"