Re: Memory warning from Emacs? BSD 4.0/Alpha

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Chris De Young <chd%chud.net@localhost> wrote:

[...]

>> I start Emacs (in character-cell mode, 'emacs -nw') and from time to
>> time during an editing session it gives me a warning: "Emergency
>> (alloc): Warning: past 95% of memory limit".

[...]

> Look at 'ulimit -a' output.

Thanks for the pointer.  I've played around with this a bit, but don't
seem to be able to solve the issue.  I raised the limits as high as I
can (up to the current hard limits), and I still have the same warning
from Emacs.  The current values are:

$ ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         1048576
stack(kbytes)        32768
lockedmem(kbytes)    503904
memory(kbytes)       503904
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes            160
sbsize(bytes)        unlimited

I haven't tried to raise the hard limits in order to use even larger
values, but intuitively these seem like they should be more than
enough - I mean, emacs may be overly large, but it's not *that* large!
(At least, I don't think so...) :)

Other pointers?

Thanks!
-Chris