Re: Free space inconsistency with df / du

"Andy Ruhl" <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> But it could also be this strangeness that df has where it can show  a
> negative value, and that's OK.

That's no strangeness, that's normal. The free space is always the free
space minus the space reserved for root. So if all space is full and
root's reserved space is also used, you get a negative value.
But I guess this doesn't change the used value, it changes the free
value. And what's definitely strange here is the used value.
And it can't be the reserved space for root since that's about 5%
IIRC. And 2 GB vs. 3 GB is way more than 5%.

What I could image is that it has something to do with sparse files,
but usually, du returns the full size then whereas df returns the
actually used space, so it would be the other way round than this
problem.

--
Jonathan