Re: qmail or postfix for a mail server ?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:31:02PM +0000, kiril Vladimirov wrote:
> No doubt - Postfix!  this software is much more ale for customization
> than qmail i mean added some more modules and third-party softs, such as
> antispam and antivirus modules (amavisd-new, spamassassin, clamav)
> Kiril

I would second, but add that you also consider looking at Exim if your
main goal is spam/virus scanning.  The former Exiscan patch is now
built-in to Exim;  Exim talks directly to spamd and clamd (and a couple
of commercial AV products), then filters accordingly.

http://exim.org/exim-html-4.68/doc/html/spec_html/ch41.html

In my experience, its performance far exceeds amavis.

That said, I run Postfix on the servers I manage these days, but I am
not concerned, now, with protecting Windows users.

Qmail is just too much of a PITA these days to deal with, and its IPv6
support leaves much to be desired.  I have used it recently, however,
for a couple of specialized installs on OpenBSD firewalls.

--sb