Auto power-off w/o APM/ACPI?

I recently upgraded to the 2/9/08 4.0 snapshot (was 4.0 formal) to get
better uhub support on my Thinkpad T23 docked in a Dock II docking station.
The USB hub on the Dock II now gets properly probed and configured as long
as I _don't_ have APM enabled in the kernel.  Probing/configuring does work
with ACPI but then I get other problems, namely dmesg errors and loss of
the screen blanking F3 key.  The only real issue I have with not having APM
enabled is the inability to pass the "-p" option to 'shutdown' - an
annoyance when wanting the system to auto power-off after running a lengthy
process overnight.  Is there some way to enable the auto-off feature w/o
APM/ACPI ?

-Jeff