Re: geting some file stat

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:14:00PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:47:49AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>>
>> actually in my shell code the restore case was missing
>> quotes around the filename. This whole project is to
>> bootstrap an offisite (rsync) backup where there is most
>> of the files already but the uid/gid/mode are incorrect,
>> so if I miss setting a few files, that's okay, just need to
>> make most of them fixed to save bandwidth/time.
>
>Can't you just rsync again with -a?  That won't use any bandwidth, to
>speak of.

Normally yes, but in this case the backups are rsync
hardlink snapshot based and managed with a script that
does timestamp directory management, so a change in file
stat is seen as a need to duplicate data and preserve
data for each mode.

Which is the box I'm thinking in, but indeed, a manual
rsync -a may indeed be the easiest way to bootstrap
proper uid/gid/mode on the backup side.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><