Re: wm(4) problems

On Jan 13, 2008 2:09 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:51:19PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >
> > I suspect CRC errors can be generated if the PHY isn't set up properly.
>
> Yes, and there's something terribly wrong with at least one of our PHY
> drivers for this chip.  Since we (still, AFAICT) do not have a dmesg
> from the system on which this particular problem is reported, we can't
> actually debug this much further, I'm afraid -- we can't see which PHY
> is present and which PHY driver is in use.
>
> On newer wm hardware with -current drivers, it sometimes helps to disable
> ikphy and use ukphy, which appears to work correctly in many cases where

As another data point...

I have a VME-7805 processor board
(http://www.gefanucembedded.com/products/1151) running NetBSD 4.0 and
I'm also having problems getting the wm0 interface working. The LED on
the port lights momentarily, but then goes out and no traffic is
possible through the interface. FWIW, it doesn't work even when I
force the interface down to 100baseT.

'dmesg' output:

wm0 at pci1 dev 6 function 0: Intel i82540EM 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 2
wm0: interrupting at irq 9
wm0: 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus
wm0: 64 word (6 address bits) MicroWire EEPROM
makphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Marvell 88E1011 Gigabit PHY, rev. 3
makphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
1000baseT-FDX, auto

Has anyone else used this version (EM) and this PHY successfully?

--
Rich

JID: rich%neswold.homeunix.net@localhost
AIM: rnezzy