Subject: Re: Where's the Logo?
To: None <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/15/2004 11:37:01
cube@cubidou.net wrote:

> Please stop assuming what TNF thinks or does, it's annoying.

 According to the current information about the project at NetBSD.org, you
do not seem to be part of the NetBSD Foundation, or part of the core group
of developers. So can you explain why what you are saying should be
considered any more authoritative and less annoying that Mr. Davis?

> TNF is not looking for a new mascot, nobody wants the daemon out.  TNF
> is looking for a logo, which there is not at the moment.

These look like logos to me, and that's what they are called on the web page:

http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/logos.html

From http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-advocacy/2004/01/14/0001.html

  "The NetBSD Foundation is retiring the existing NetBSD daemon identity
  and is adopting a new logo."

 and then:

"Due to the issues identified above, the current NetBSD daemon character
cannot be used."

 Perhaps some of the meaning of the announcement was not understood.  The
announcement says "new logo" several times, which implies that there is an
old logo.  They also explicity say the "daemon indentity" is to be
retired.  Further in the announcement, they note that the "current
identity" has "Has negative cultural, and religious ramifications."

 It seems very clear to me that the daemon is unacceptable as a logo.

 Perhaps, as you say, it will continue as a mascot, but there's nothing in
the official announcement about this.  It seems unlikely to me that NetBSD
will have a daemon mascot and some other image as a logo, and that both of
these will be used.  After there is a new logo, continued use of the
daemon mascot would probably undermine the new, "official" logo, because
the daemon has definitely be used (perhaps unofficially) as a logo.

 I can understand the desire for NetBSD to have new logo which is
"inoffensive" and distinct from FreeBSD. But we should be honest about
where this is going. The daemon will not be in the logo, and the logo will
be the dominant image associated with the project.

 -johan