NetBSD-Java archive

Re: openjdk7 in pkgsrc

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:09:25 +0200
Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:35:47PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > Java should have a fontdir set and by default tends to look at x font
> > server or in some standard locations like /usr/share/fonts/font
> > (something like that). You are probably just seeing the six default awt
> > fonts.  Check out java_home/jre/lib for more font stuff in java.
> >
> > Pkgsrc could create a new font config file to look in pkgdirs, but I
> > think the binary format is proprietary or something.
>

> Interestingly, the 1.5/1.6 JDK's ship their own fonts under jre/lib/fonts/
> (Lucida* fonts) while openjdk7 doesn't.  It has a fontconfig.properties.src
> file which is configured with DejaVu instead, and refers to absolute font
> paths (for Fedora Core 6 according to a comment in the file).  Changing the
> paths there doesn't help, I guess the binary fontconfig.bfc must somehow be
> regenerated from it.

Indeed, the ugly looking fonts are a known problem. You can probably
remove the .bfc file and put a .properties there instead, but I'm not
sure.

If you "make extract" in openjdk7, then some clues may be found in:
${WRKDIR}/icedtea-175529fae103/patches/icedtea-fonts.patch
It's an update to the font configuration from FC6 to FC9 according to
the comment. I guess we need something similar.

-Tobias