NetBSD-Java archive

Re: openjdk7 in pkgsrc

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:35:47PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> Java should have a fontdir set and by default tends to look at x font
> server or in some standard locations like /usr/share/fonts/font
> (something like that). You are probably just seeing the six default awt
> fonts.  Check out java_home/jre/lib for more font stuff in java.
>
> Pkgsrc could create a new font config file to look in pkgdirs, but I
> think the binary format is proprietary or something.

Interestingly, the 1.5/1.6 JDK's ship their own fonts under jre/lib/fonts/
(Lucida* fonts) while openjdk7 doesn't.  It has a fontconfig.properties.src
file which is configured with DejaVu instead, and refers to absolute font
paths (for Fedora Core 6 according to a comment in the file).  Changing the
paths there doesn't help, I guess the binary fontconfig.bfc must somehow be
regenerated from it.

I'll have a look at how we can fix these paths in the pkgsrc package so
fontconfig.bfc is generated with the correct paths from the first time.  We
then probably need additional dependencies on the fonts themselves too
(mostly DejaVu, plus some additional CJK fonts which should probably be
added as optional dependencies, or just have their paths corrected without
an explicit dependency).

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F