NetBSD-Help archive

Re: share one wireless adapter's connection to second device (wireless bridge?)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Do you see dhcp requests from your device on re0, and dhcp replies to
> these requests ? If you see requests but no replies, tcpdump on ral0. If
> they don't show up here, either your server didn't reply, or ral0's
> promiscous mode isn't working.

I thought so. The device was assigned an IP. It has a menu where I could
also see that it was assigned a DNS server and also a default router. And
the wireless router / DHCP server also has a DNS server which has the new
hostname as provided by the device.

But now I am thinking that was from old settings from when the device was
plugged directly to the router in the other room. tcpdump doesn't show the
dhcp going both ways. I can see in my tpcdump output when the device is
configured with its previous IP.

And from my NetBSD system I can ping the device. (That's how I saw the
hostname because of reverse lookup. The hostname includes SIP -- the
device is a phone.)

I found some emails from this on pkgsrc-users in Sept. 2007. I read that
maybe you can't bridge with any of NetBSD's wireless drivers -- but
bridge(4) manpage clearly mentions 802.11 and wireless. Also I read that I
need a card that supports having as many associations to the AP as
required. I don't know if my ral0 does. It is:

ral0 at uhub5 port 1
ral0: Cisco-Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter, rev 2.00/0.04, addr 2
ral0: MAC/BBP RT2570 (rev 0x03), RF RT2526
ral0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ral0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

The ral0 is working for DHCP also. I assign ral0's via dhclient and have
done that for 1.5 years.

How do I know if my ral0 will allow multiple associations?

  Jeremy C. Reed