NetBSD-Help archive

Re: share one wireless adapter's connection to second device (wireless bridge?)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:40:10PM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am using ral0 which is a USB-based Linksys Wireless-G network adapter.
> (I've been using it for 1.5 years on different NetBSD systems. It works
> well except I have to ping at least once every 170 seconds or it loses
> connection.) My ral0 has an IP assigned and I use it.
>
> I have an external device that uses DHCP to get a connection. I was hoping
> I could just plug it to my NetBSD's unused re0 device (RealTek 8100E/8101E
> PCIe 10/100BaseTX (rev. 0x0)).
>
> My first try was to create a bridge:
>
> sudo ifconfig bridge0 create
> sudo brconfig bridge0 add re0 add ral0 up
>
> "brconfig -a" showed the bridge. After I turned on the device, "brconfig
> -a" showed three more entries in the "Address cache".
>
> tcpdump on re0 shows a bunch of SIP, igmp, DHCP traffic from my device. I
> can also see traffic from my DHCP server (the wireless router in the other
> room) on my re0 device (which is not wireless but on the bridge0). (I also
> see 169.254.x.x traffic on re0.) (If you'd like me email this tcpdump
> output to you, let me know.)
>
> But my device never got its networking up. I am guessing that I can't
> share multiple connections on that ral0 adapter. I don't know. (My ral0
> continued to work fine.)

Do you see dhcp requests from your device on re0, and dhcp replies to these
requests ? If you see requests but no replies, tcpdump on ral0. If they don't
show up here, either your server didn't reply, or ral0's promiscous mode isn't
working.