NetBSD-Help archive

ftp client

Hi,

Apparently I am in need of some elucidation about the operation of the
standard NetBSD ftp client. I understand the protocol is not well
suited for the ubiquitous firewall/NAT setups, but nevertheless...

The server is running FileZilla server on a Windows 2000 server box
behind a BT firewall, which has been opened. NAT is present. The
clients are also behind firewalls. Here is the log (with blanked
addresses):

% ncftp3 -u ftpguest xyzzyx.xyz
NcFTP 3.2.1 (Jul 29, 2007) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
Connecting to 123.123.213.213...
FileZilla Server version 0.9.24 beta
written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse%gmx.de@localhost)
Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Logging in...
Password requested by 123.123.213.213 for user "ftpguest".

    Password required for ftpguest

Password: *******

Logged on
Logged in to xyzzyx.xyz.
ncftp / > ls
FireGL/      IE7-WMP11/   Misc/        NVidia/      Virtual/     b/
ncftp / >

-----------------

% /usr/bin/ftp xyzzyx.xyz
Connected to xyzzyx.xyz.
220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.24 beta
220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse%gmx.de@localhost)
220 Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Name (xyzzyx.xyz:ci): ftpguest
331 Password required for ftpguest
Password:
230 Logged on
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||4225|)
ftp: Can't connect to `123.123.213.213': Connection refused
200 Port command successful
150 Opening data channel for directory list.
ftp: Poll timeout waiting before accept
425 Can't open data connection.
226 ABOR command successful
ftp>

----------------
% /usr/bin/ftp -A xyzzyx.xyz
Connected to xyzzyx.xyz.
220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.24 beta
220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse%gmx.de@localhost)
220 Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Name (xyzzyx.xyz:ci): ftpguest
331 Password required for ftpguest
Password:
230 Logged on
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp> ls
200 Port command successful
150 Opening data channel for directory list.
ftp: Poll timeout waiting before accept
425 Can't open data connection.
226 ABOR command successful
ftp>

Ncftp3 works fine. FileZilla Client works fine. NetBSD /usr/bin/ftp
doesn't - in both passive (the default in the first instance) and
forced active mode. There is a wait of about half a minute before the
message 'ftp: Poll timeout...' appears.

The same is true for both FreeBSD 6.0 and OpenBSD 4.2 ftp clients. I
also tested ncftp 3.1.9 on FreeBSD, which again worked - after some
timeout trying PASV it switched to PORT and was fine afterwards.

Any ideas?

/dev/random says:
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014