Subject: Re: is anyone using a sierra wireless GPRS or CDMA card with -current?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2004 17:09:20
On Tue, 4 May 2004 14:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> This is in regards to
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/12/08/0012.html
>
> Did you ever receive an answer about using an AirCard 550 (or other) under
> NetBSD?
>
> Or do you have another alternative? (Because I'd like to get a PCMCIA
> wireless card for internet access.)
>
>  Jeremy C. Reed
>
>  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
> 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/

No, I never got it to work. There is info in the sierra wireless supoort
pages on how to get linux to see the card as a serial device.

http://centerclick.org/aircard555/

Even though it _should_ be fairly easy to make it work, I had enough other
stuff going on in my life that I didn't want to be a trail-blazer. Instead,
I got a data cable for my nokia phone from smithmicro.com. Now, my phone
looks like a usb modem (uplcom). It is a very simple solution to the
wireless data problem, especially since I can also use my phone as a modem
via bluetooth with my palm T3.

My personal mobile data wish list is as follows:

1. working bluetooth

2. support for new wireless data cards, e.g. Sony erricson GC82 (EGPRS/EDGE)
and sierra wireless EV-DO

Good luck! Please let me know of your success or failure.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing