Subject: is anyone using a sierra wireless GPRS or CDMA card with -current?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/08/2003 17:45:27
I making another attempt to get some kind of wireless access working for my
laptop. Before I plunk any money down, I thought I'd see if anyone else had
tried the sierra wireless cards.

By searching their "knowledge base" I found  that the aircard 550, 555, and
750 all should work with linux, although sierra wireless does not support
them officially. e.g.

http://mycusthelp.com/sierrawireless/supportkbitem.asp?sSessionID=&Inc=192&sFilA=FAQ%20Category&sFilB=Products&sFilC=&KEY=linux

All that is needed for linux is some card info goo, a binary file they
supply with cis info, and alledgedly the card will work with the linux
serial device driver.

Unless there is some magic winmodem stuff built into linux these days, is it
reasonable to assume that with little or no tweaking, one of these cards
should work with NetBSD? Is anyone using one of these cards already?

I'm still not sure what I'm going to choose. It's likely that I'll just use
an EGPRS nokia with a smithmicro usb cable, but if CDMA-2000 is an option,
e.g. if one of the sierra cards should work, I may at least try a different
approach first, in the cdma-2000 case trading throughput for lower latency.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing