Subject: Re: upgrading a floppyless i386 box from 1.4.2 to 1.5_ALPHA
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/2000 15:20:52
On 23-Sep-00 Laine Stump wrote:
>> So I'm wondering if it's possible to boot my iopener into NetBSD
>> 1.4.2, download all the sets for 1.5_ALPHA, untar them into the proper
>> locations, and then reboot into 1.5_ALPHA? Would I start with the
>> 1.5_ALPHA kernel or should I install all of the other sets first?
>> Would I run the risk of ending up with a partial installation and a
>> kernel and system binaries from different distributions that won't
>> talk to one another?

I actually installed a pesky laptop like this the other day:

1) download 1.5 sets and kernel set.
2) boot 1.4.2 floppy
3) untar sets manually.
4) run makedev.  (I forgot this step.. wheee)
5) boot into 1.5

It worked like a charm.. just don't forget step 4..  And if 1.5 doesn't work on
your system.. you are a bit SOL.  You would be advised to try test-booting a
1.5 kernel first, before taking the plunge.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>