Subject: Re: DHCP and FDDI
To: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
From: Paul Wain <Paul.Wain@liberate.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1999 10:27:36
Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 1999 12:58:43 PDT, Paul Wain says
> >Have you tried running tcpdump on that machine/interface to make sure that the
> >requests coming in at least:
> >
> >a) get there and
> >b) look correct?
>
> Yup, they get there and look okay (as far as tcpdump on that interface can
> tell; I haven't dumped the packets and decoded them manually).  When they
> arrive on the ethernet interface, dhcpd sees them.  When they arrive on
> FDDI, tcpdump sees them but dhcpd doesn't.
>
>         -Kevin

And this is with the ISC DHCP server?

I seem to recall it having problems with non "ethernet" interfaces before. I dont
recall exactly what it was, but I remember it had something to do with multiple
interfaces and looking like it had bound to both of them but only really working
on one. (This is all from memory :)

I would suggest digging around at the ISC web site (dhcpd --version will tell you
the right place, off hand I think its something like http://www.isc.org/) and
maybe re-asking this question on current-users@netbsd.org since there are lots of
"people in the know" on DHCP over there - there have been some questions in the
last few days reguarding problems with interfaces not responding. You might want
to take a look at the mailing list archive over at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/ to see if its a similar solution
manifesting in a different problem.

Cheers,

Paul