NetBSD guide: Storing third-party software correction

On https://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-boot.html#chap-boot-pkgsrc

> Storing third-party software
> On many UNIX-like systems the directory structure under /usr/local is
> reserved for applications and files which are independent of the
> system's software management. This convention is the reason why most
> software developers expect their software to be installed under
> /usr/local. NetBSD has no /usr/local directory, but it can be created
> manually if needed. NetBSD does not care about anything installed
> under /usr/local, so this task is left to you as the system
> administrator.

This is a point for NetBSD, at my first thought. /usr/local sucks.
(You can safely skip two line below.)
Why separating "distro"-installed packages with user-installed packages?
They are just packages that are not necessary for the system to boot up.

Skipped over the pain installing NetBSD, I found that there is no
/usr/local, but /usr/pkg with the identical directory structure !!!

Will it worth mentioning?