Re: NAME_MAX usage not consistent across man pages

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 08:38:03AM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:01:16PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > To be consistent across all pages, we should use a single expression
> > in all pages. I'm for using the `.Brq Dv NAME_MAX' one, which add the
> > braces (without spaces, following the opengroup man pages) using a
> > mdoc macro.
>
> I think all #defined constants should be marked with just .Dv, as is noted
> also in mdoc.samples(7). If the ".Brq Dv" would be preferred, there are
> thousands (or maybe even tens of thousands...) instances that should be
> changed as well.

I don't think we must necessary do the same for all defined
values...

For NAME_MAX and a few others, while they are indeed defined values,
they are refered in man pages more as symbolic limits. My point here
was to follow the opengroup typographic conventions.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/frontmatter/typographics.html

--
Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.