NetBSD-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

lib/60793: libwrap documentation may need updating



>Number:         60793
>Category:       lib
>Synopsis:       libwrap documentation may need updating
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    lib-bug-people
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Sep 25 20:45:00 +0000 2026
>Originator:     Havard Eidnes
>Release:        NetBSD 10.1_STABLE
>Organization:
I try...
>Environment:
System: NetBSD st.urc.uninett.no 11.99.4 NetBSD 11.99.4 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Dec  6 13:05:05 UTC 2025  mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64
Architecture: x86_64
Machine: amd64
>Description:
	Several issues:
	1) the hosts_access(3) man page does not mention which library
	   should be used (-lwrap)
	2) The hosts_access(3) man page refers to "tcpd.h".  Should that
	   not be <tcpd.h>?
	3) Among all the symbols referred to in <tcpd.h> as globbal
	   variables, "allow_severity" and "deny_severity" do not appear
	   to have a definition in libwrap.a:

st: {1} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep allow_severity
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:options.o:                 U allow_severity
st: {2} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep deny_severity
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:refuse.o:                 U deny_severity
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:options.o:                 U deny_severity
st: {3} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep hosts_allow_table
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:hosts_access.o:0000000000000008 D hosts_allow_table
st: {4} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep hosts_deny_table
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:hosts_access.o:0000000000000000 D hosts_deny_table
st: {5} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep hosts_access_verbose
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:options.o:                 U hosts_access_verbose
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:hosts_access.o:0000000000000000 B hosts_access_verbose
st: {6} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep rfc931_timeout
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:options.o:                 U rfc931_timeout
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:rfc931.o:0000000000000000 D rfc931_timeout
st: {7} nm -op /usr/lib/libwrap.a | egrep resident
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:options.o:                 U resident
/usr/lib/libwrap.a:hosts_access.o:0000000000000000 D resident
st: {8} 

	   but the man page still says

	   extern int allow_severity;
	   extern int deny_severity;

	   and since we now no longer allow onlyl-extern-defined
	   variables to become BSS variables, this results in:

configure:17038: gcc -o conftest -O2 -fPIC -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -I/usr/include -pthread -I/usr/include -Wl,-zrelro -L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib conftest.c -lwrap  -lcrypt  >&5
ld: /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `deny_severity'
ld: /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `allow_severity'

	
>How-To-Repeat:
	Try to update pkgsrc/net/tacacs to 4.0.4.32, watch the configure
	test fail as above.

>Fix:
	While I made a fix for net/tacacs, I still think the docs
	need updating.




Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index