Subject: Re: NFS capability
To: Ram Chandar <cnn_dinu01@sancharnet.in>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/10/2003 17:05:22
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-advocacy/2003/02/10/0003.html

I don't think that the phasing out of SGI workstations has to do with
NFS or server capability.  Recall who invented OpenGL..?

Regrettably, NetBSD does not presently offer hardware accelerated
OpenGL support (at least, not with the current XFree86 4.x---and at
least port-i386 has officially moved on to 4.x since the release of
NetBSD v1.6).

If "any BSD is better than GNU/LINUX" is your motto, though, you might
look at FreeBSD, which does have DRI.  I'm not sure if it performs as
well as on GNU/LINUX, but at least it will have a boost from hardware
acceleration.

Other than that, you may have to wait for DRI support (Direct Rendering
Infrastructure) to appear on NetBSD.

(Or find who's working on it and help them---or start working on it on
your own.  (^&)

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org