Subject: Re: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 12:30:18
While yes.. it is possible for a card to suddenly become unsupported.. thats
not supposed to happen.  Thats a bug.  What I propose should be done in that
case, is put the card in.. mark it as tested in 1.3.2, and then in the user
comments field say "this card is known to not work in 1.4.1."

On 01-Feb-00 Zach Fine wrote:
> example #1: I recently purchased a Cyclades YeP 16-serial port card
> and breakout box, compiled a NetBSD 1.4.1 kernel with the cy driver
> included, and hooked it up to the machine. Unfortunately, the serial
> ports are unusable and my whole NetBSD box locks up within a couple
> minutes of any attempt to use these ports. From the attempts I made
> via the netbsd-help mailing list to get help solving the problem, it
> became apparent that nobody has used or tested one of these Cyclades
> boards with NetBSD since 1.3.2, and that I'm on my own.  Since I'm no
> kernel programmer, I'll probably have to drop this board in the back
> of my closet and forget about it, the money I spent on it, and the
> robotics and other projects ('Java ring' based home security system) I
> had planned for it.

I see you offered it up to mail to a developer.. good idea.  I hope there is a
PR open on this as well.  If not.. don't exepect it to get worked on anytime
soon.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>