Re: Building old systems

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 11:08:43 -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:

> What should I be configuring to make sure that a tooldir compiler is
> usable?

The tools in the tooldir expect that the netbsd src makefiles call
them with -isysroot (or some such flag(s), sorry, writing from
memory).

I have some very old notes about making the tooldir+destdir into a
self-contained cross toolchain:

  http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/netbsd/cross.html

so that you can use CC=arch-netbsd-gcc and don't worry about
-isysroot, -L, etc (I used that procedure to work e.g. on j2me cldc
jvm and qt embedded).

But keep in mind that that will give you a *cross* toolchain.  You
cannot expect it to work natively for the same $arch host as the
target.  You *might* be lucky, but the logistics of aligning all the
things just right to get that hack to work is probably too compilcated
and the result is probably too fragile.

Since you try to use tooldir as HOST_*, you must be on a netbsd host -
so it's probably easier to use a chroot with an old netbsd system
(base + comp) in that case.

-uwe