Re: Building old systems

>> It might be better to use corresponding older tools to build older
>> kernels.  Modern gcc switched to -fno-common by default, so if you
>> want to compile an older kernel that has multiple variable definitions
>> you will need to arrange for -fcommon option to be used.
>
> Is there any way to do that with a current system and build.sh?
> Neither setting it with -V or with env works.

Just glancing at build.sh from -current here, but since this is while
building nbmake, it's early in the process, and it's the host's
toolchain you will be using by necessity.

You don't say which variable you tried setting via -V (I'm wondering a
little what it is with folks who won't be concrete...).

It could be that you should try with

-V HOST_CFLAGS="-O -fcommon"

or possibly with a variant with

-V HOST_LDFLAGS=-fcommon

possibly as an addition, possibly as the only "extra" setting, since
IIUC the -fcommon flag influences the behaviour during linking.

Regards,

- Håvard