Re: tar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote in
 <Y/lWD3MhskYOU/3g%bec.de@localhost>:
 |Am Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 12:45:54PM -0800 schrieb Greywolf:
 |> I would be appreciative of any clues pointing toward a solution.
 |
 |Two options:
 |(1) Force C.UTF-8 for the extract step on systems that can support it.
 |(2) Try --options hdrcharset=BINARY for (bsd)tar.

fwiw the CRUX-Linux i use changed for its pkgmk

-               bsdtar -c $COMPRESSION -f $TARGET *  &&  bsdtar -t -v -f $TARGET
+               bsdtar --format=gnutar -c $COMPRESSION -f $TARGET *  &&  bsdtar -t -v -f $TARGET

in last April.  (Instead of reporting upstream issues with
tarballs, i took a look into libarchive iconv handling and it is
going miles and miles to be correct, but i cannot help it.  Now
they dump broken input 1:1 onto their filesystems.  Luckily i did
not use those packages.)

--steffen