Re: How to build only one part of NetBSD system

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 05:33:03AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> >From /usr/src/UPDATING,
>
> Recent changes:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 20230112:
>         New binutils require an updated ld.elf_so. If you are doing
>         (unsupported) in-place self builds (with the -E flag to build.sh),
>         make sure to have installed latest ld.elf_so before you rebuild
>         userland.
>
> So how do I build /usr/src/lbexec/ld.elf_so preliminary to rebuilding the whole NetBSD (current)?

If you are not using something like "build.sh -E -D /" you should ignore that
entry.

> I tried going into libexec/ld.elf_so and running "make install" but that didn't work or even come close.

It would be something like:

	cd src/libexec/ld.elf_so
	${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${arch} dependall
	${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${arch} install

> I don't think I could have used build.sh for just this component.

Right.

> I had two failed builds of NetBSD-current (10.99.2) before looking more closely at /usr/src/UPDATING.

Failed builds how? If you are using "build.sh -u" you may need to manually
clean the object dir for all instances of "binutils" (depending on when
you did the last sucessful build).

A safe way is to completely remove the object dir and build everything from
scratch.

Martin