Re: NetBSD 10.0_BETA envstat hangs

On 7/01/23 03:47, Mayuresh wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 10:12:27AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
2) For the the fact that the device appears to be getting attached to
sysmon_envsys(9) even though device configuration failed.

I filed for the other two, but did not find the word sysmon_envsys in
dmesg. What observation shall I report in the PR?

The sysmon_envsys subsystem is an internal kernel API, which is why its manual page is in section 9 of the manual. sysmon_envsys probably doesn't log much (if anything) to the console and so you have to know what's going on behind the scenes before you can have an idea of what to expect, which is an important part of the PR. Sorry.

Every device driver has an attach function that is responsible for configuring all the I/O needed to access the hardware and then registering that device with the kernel in some way so that NetBSD can then use the hardware. If the I/O can't be configured, then there is no point trying to register the device with the kernel because the device driver can't access the hardware.

With many drivers I would expect that if the dmesg output says "autoconfiguration error", then the device would not be registered with the kernel. You can verify that acpibat0 has been registered with sysmon_envsys by running "envstat -D", which hopefully won't hang your system.

In summary. When I see an "autoconfiguration error" for a device in dmesg, I expect that device to be unavailable. i.e. it won't be reported in "envstat -D".

My expectations may be wrong, this wouldn't be the first time.

Cheers,
Lloyd