re: binutils still failing on amd64

Robert Elz writes:
> I wonder if perhaps part of the reason (or perhaps all of it) that
> Paul and I see problems, where others aren't, is that we are both
> building from a read only mounted source tree.

oh yeah - this is only going to break r/o src tree builds, which is
also something i use as much as possible.

i recommend r/o src trees for all netbsd src builds.  my random build
failed issues became far less common when i did that decades ago.

> Eg: from Paul's error log:
>
> Making info in po
>    GEN      /build/netbsd-current/src_ro/tools/binutils/../../external/gpl3/binutils/dist/bfd/doc/bfdver.texi
> x86_64--netbsd-install: /build/netbsd-current/src_ro/tools/binutils/../../external/gpl3/binutils/dist/bfd/doc: chown/chmod: Read-only file system
> sh: cannot create /build/netbsd-current/src_ro/tools/binutils/../../external/gpl3/binutils/dist/bfd/doc/bfdver.texi: read-only file system
>
> which indicates something is trying to make files in the source
> tree, instead of the obj tree.

this specific instance should now be fixed.

> The errors I'm seeing are different, but could have the same underlying
> cause.

what are you seeing?  can you update and post the latest failures?

.mrg.