Re: Testing/Debugging amdgpu kernel driver in 10.0_BETA

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 02:02:01PM -0800, Jeff Frasca wrote:
> Hi all,  I have a lenovo thinkpad E485 which has a Ryzen 3 2200U APU
> in it (which is a Vega/RAVEN RIDGE GPU).  I installed the NetBSD 10.0
> BETA on it this week, and that's actually working better than
> Slackware 15.0

Great to read that.

I have amdgpu based hardware, not same as yours, but Ubuntu uses amdgpu
X11 driver for the same without any problems.

With Generic NetBSD 10.0 BETA kernel eDP monitor was working, though there
was no HDMI output during boot.

After enabling amdgpu and amdgpufb and recompiling the kernel there is
HDMI output but very faint eDP output - almost invisible.

X11 is very slow. Xorg.0.log points to absence of radeonsi_dri. It unloads
amdgpu driver. I'm not sure where to get radeonsi_dri from. I am using
modular X11.

I see the firmware loaded from these messages, though not sure whether
that's the right one / anything else also is needed.

    [     4.738987] [drm] Found UVD firmware Version: 1.43 Family ID: 15
    [     4.789087] [drm] Found VCE firmware Version: 34.0 Binary ID: 3

My dmesg/xorg.conf/Xorg.0.log details are captured on this PR. dmesg
posted at the bottom of the thread is after recompiling the kernel with
amdgpu and amdgpufb options, initial one is before that.

http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=57144

Based on your experience with amdgpu, is there anything you can suggest -
that will be really a great help. E.g. did you have to enable amdgpu in
the kernel, did you have to drop in any additional firmware, any specific
xorg.conf settings etc.

--
Mayuresh