Re: /etc/protocols generation

Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:
> Sounds good to me, perhaps something like
> src/etc/refresh-data/ with some structure under
> there?

I have a few scripts here:
https://www.netmeister.org/tmp/iana-data.tar.gz

Two questions:

1) Since this is solving the same problem using the
same input and producing the same output, the awk
scripts there resemble those from pkgsrc/net/iana-etc/
necessarily.  Those, however, are released under the
Open Software License ("OSL") v. 3.0.  I don't know
whether my scripts are sufficiently original to not be
considered derived work; if not, then we'd have to
import those scripts using the OSL.

This, then would speak in favor of leaving the tools
in pkgsrc.  The Makefile could then perform the task
of reaching over into pkgsrc?  Seems like a messy set
up and not much of a win. :-/

Or we'd re-write the tool without using awk and thus
avoiding the licensing issue, although that seems the
most intuitive tool for the job and another solution
may feel awkward?

2) I wanted to add the execution of the ATF tests, but
those literally test the outcome of the files
installed under /etc.  For a full validation, one
would need to copy the generated file into /etc, which
seems heavy handed to me.  Having a partial test that
may generate a diff when the file is updated seemed
reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

-Jan