/etc/protocols generation

Hello,

I just spent some time shaving the /etc/protocols
generation yak.  As best as I can tell the process how
that file is maintained is not documented and consists
of:

1) building the pkgsrc/net/iana-etc package

This package pulls a few scripts from
http://sethwklein.net/iana-etc, which hasn't seen
updates since 2008.  It then patches those scripts to
our needs and runs them to generate the files
'protocols' and 'services'.

2) running the ATF tests from src/tests/lib/libc/net

This assumes the updated files are іnstalled in /etc/
as well as that you know to run the test.

3) Copying the updated file into src/etc/.

Prior to my recent changes to the iana-etc scripts,
this further required you to know that you had to
manually make / merge a few changes to the file.
Unsurprisingly, this frequently led to these changes
being reverted, then re-added.  Still, this makes
tracking such changes difficult and notably outside of
the main source tree.

All of this strikes me as fragile.  I'd like to
suggest to instead pull in glue / scripts to generate,
test, and update the file src/etc/ directly via
'make', so that maintenance of the file is
self-contained within the source tree.

Two questions:

(a) Does that sound reasonable?
(b) Where should such helper scripts or glue live?
Directly in src/etc/Makefile, src/etc/gluescript, ...?
Or somewhere else?

-Jan