How to map Alt keys in X windows under NetBSD-9?

	hello.  I'm using both the text consoles and the X display on my NetBSD-9 based machine
and I'm running into an issue with the keyboard that I think should be simple to figure out,
but which I'm finding a bit confusing.

Using a USB attached keyboard, when I'm running in the consoles, the alt keys generate a 0x1b
(hex) or 27 as the 16-bit key code sent with other keys.  That is, applications see 0x1b + the
actual ASCII code of the key being pressed with the alt keys.  Under X, a different key is sent
to the applications running in xterm.  I guess I have two questions:

1.  How can I figure out which code is being sent when the alt keys are pressed under X?

2.  How can I change which code is received by the applications runing undr xterm so they match
what is seen under the text consoles?

-thanks
-Brian