Re: Weird clock behaviour with current (amd64) kernel

On 2022/07/14 22:59, Robert Elz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just booted a kernel that I built (from up to date at the time)
> HEAD sources about 24 hours ago.
>
> Everything seemed to be working fine - until I noticed that all of
> my clocks (there are several, gkrellm, window manager, a dclock,
> and an xtu) were all wildly wrong (as in, were moving time forwards
> incredibly slowly).
>
> You can see the results of that if you compare the Date header, and
> Received header from my local system (jacaranda) with the Received
> header munnari adds (there should be no more than a second or two
> between those - in this message there will be much more).
>
> When I noticed this, I changed the clock source from TSC to hpet0,
> and since then, the system appears to be advancing time at about
> the right rate - but unlike its normal smooth motion, the second hand
> in xtu (the only one of the clocks that has seconds) looks very
> jerky, and ...
>
> jacaranda$ while sleep 1; do date; done
> Thu Jul 14 20:43:49 +07 2022
> Thu Jul 14 20:43:52 +07 2022
> Thu Jul 14 20:43:55 +07 2022
> Thu Jul 14 20:43:58 +07 2022
> Thu Jul 14 20:44:01 +07 2022
>
> that would be much like what it looks like.

Could you show me the full dmesg with verbose output?
i.e. add -v option to the boot command in /boot.cfg.
It shows some message related to the TSC stuff.

Thanks in advance.

                SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost
                                 msaitoh%netbsd.org@localhost)