Re: CVS commit: src

Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 15:13 Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>

>> Slightly, but not really.  Back then, there was multicast routing, and
>> then there was the mbone project for wide-area multicast because the
>> internet didn't yet support it like it eventually would (reality ended
>> up different).  Things like vic and vac came out of the research effort
>> that was associated with mbone deployment, and that's why I mentioned
>> them as "mbone".  It's true they work on multicast rather than mbone,
>> and thus arguably we should rename the category, but in pkgsrc we don'd
>> do that.  I'd say the pkgsrc name is wrong though.
>
> I haven't looked at cvs history, but my recollection (it was 25 years ago)
> is that the pkgsrc mbone category name came from FreeBSD at the initial
> import - over time, we got rid of some categories that didn't match the
> functionality requirement - plan9, japanese, etc - and we and they added
> others without coordination - inputmethods, ftp, dns etc.
>
> My bad for not being aware of these things at the time, sorry

kre@ disagrees with me about it being wrong; the mbone was a particular
overlay network, a social phenomenon, and a group of tools built for
that network all at the same time, and most of the mbone/ category is
what people of that day would have thought of as mbone tools.  My point
was just that the basic system routing support was not "mbone", but
simply "multicast routing".   You wouldn't really use video chat over
local because you'd just walk down the hall instead.  It was talking to
people at other sites that was a big deal.