re: HDMI sound not working

i don't have anything useful for you, except to say that this should
or can be a working setup.

> I've got a setup with two sound cards: the on-board sound chip, and the
> graphics card (a Radeon RX550). These both seem to be dectected (after
> adding the HDAUDIO_ENABLE_HDMI option to the kernel config), as the
> dmesg shows:

this works for me, across a couple of systems (same GPU), the last
few years.  my setup was haswell + supermicro motherboard, and is now
zen2 + asus m/b, both with radeonhd 5450.  my mixerctl, audioctl, and
audiocfg output match yours almost identically except i'm missing the
8 channel options, and my mixerctl has just this:

   outputs.dacsel=HDMI00

connected to a dell ultrasharp lcd (both 2415 and 2715 models) using
it's audio jack connected to a 2.1 speaker setup.

i last updated my kernel about 3 weeks ago.

.mrg.