Re: Bug or no Bug?

6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed the 9.99.xx kernel on several systems. On most
> systems there are no problems. On a Dell 2800, the kernel crashes
> during boot. The problem only occurs if the option LOCKDEBUG is set.
>
> options         LOCKDEBUG       # expensive locking checks/support
>
> Should a bug report be made in this case? Or should problems that only
> occur when LOCKDEBUG is enabled be ignored?

There are three possibilities, at least

  LOCKDEBUG perturbs timing and provokes a latent bug
  LOCKDEBUG catches bad code and faults
  LOCKDEBUG is itself buggy

In all three -- and you don't know yet -- a bug report is in order.

It would be good to set up kernel gdb, probably, or at least a serial
console, or disable all graphics and see if you can get a backtrace.