Re: the entropy bug, and device timeouts (was: Note: two files changed and hashes/signatures updated for NetBSD 8.1)

On 25/01/22 17:57, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I have fixes that restore the previous option to use "untrusted"
hardware as an entropy source.  They may need some updating to be truly
complete in the most recent -current, as I'm still back at 9.99.81.

The change was more subtle than that I think. Untrusted hardware was used as an entropy source, but it didn't count towards the "enough" that was needed to bootstrap the rnd system from nothing.

On 7 May 2020 a change was committed to /etc/rc.d/random_seed so that a seed file is created at boot time if you don't already have one. I haven't checked because I really can't be bothered right now, but I'm pretty sure that's all that's required.

Cheers,
Lloyd