the entropy bug, and device timeouts (was: Note: two files changed and hashes/signatures updated for NetBSD 8.1)

At Mon, 24 Jan 2022 08:46:36 +0000, "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Note: two files changed and hashes/signatures updated for NetBSD 8.1

> Does there look to be a fix in the entropy bug?
>
> This bug relates to entropy and how it impedes building many packages
> in pkgsrc.
>
> I seemed to get around this bug on one computer but not the other.

I have fixes that restore the previous option to use "untrusted"
hardware as an entropy source.  They may need some updating to be truly
complete in the most recent -current, as I'm still back at 9.99.81.

However I've little hope that my patches will be accepted back into the
main source tree, since there seems to be some crazy un-bendable
insistence on perfect security of all randomness, even for private
machines, embedded systems, and so on.

> Other bug is longer-standing and plagued me in NetBSD 8.99.51 and
> again in 9.99.82.
>
> Do there look to be improvements in how NetBSD handles hard drives
> that would be affected by that bug?
>
> That bug causes device timeouts on some types of hard drive but not
> all.

I can't imagine how the entropy issues could be related in any way to
disk device driver timeouts.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>