Useradd in 9.99.92

When setting up a new system I’ve used a script to populate most of my user accounts.  This has always worked fine up to and including 9.2, but with 9.99.92 downloaded the other day I’m getting errors.  An example that worked previously is something like:

	useradd -m -c “User test” -s /bin/csh -p `pwhash secret` test

With 9.99.92 this complains about and invalid password and says it is setting the password to “*********”.  I’ve tried various things to quote the output of pwhash and nothing seems to work.  What am I missing here, or is doing something like this intentionally no longer allowed?

Using just “-p secret” doesn’t give an error, but the password stored isn’t the value specified and is somehow encrypted.

Thanks,
-bob