Re: HP DL380p Gen8 interrupt storm

Try booting with the CD drive disabled (via userconf)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021, Havard Eidnes wrote:

Hi,

one machine I'm testing NetBSD on feels sort of sluggish, which
is strange because it's got lots of RAM (128GB) and a pair of
Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 CPUs, for a total of 16 physical cores and 32
with hyperthreading.

It looks like one of the CPUs is using most of its time doing
interrupt processing, "systat vm" often shows ***** in "Intr" and
I have a constant buzz of 6.3% System CPU:

Proc:r  d  s        Csw  Traps SysCal  Intr   Soft  Fault     PAGING   SWAPPING
    1     7        557    281    355 *****     64    277     in  out   in  out
                                                       ops
  6.3% Sy   0.0% Us   0.0% Ni   0.1% In  93.6% Id    pages
|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
===                                                                     2 forks
                                                                       2 fkppw
Checking further:

stest: {8} vmstat -i
interrupt               total   rate
TLB shootdown         4677209      0
cpu0 timer         1046424629     99
msix2 vec 0          62702425      5
msix6 vec 0           3294854      0
ioapic0 pin 21             84      0
ioapic0 pin 20       21074226      2
ioapic0 pin 17  3344590700017 319462
ioapic0 pin 4           12722      0
Total           3345728886166 319570

stest: {9} grep 'ioapic0 pin 17' /var/run/dmesg.boot
pciide0: using ioapic0 pin 17 for native-PCI interrupt
stest: {10}

pciide0 only has the built-in CD drive, if I see correctly.

Full dmesg attached below.

Any hints about what's going on and how to further diagnose and
eventually cure it?

Regards,

- Håvard

!DSPAM:61324ecd137045439215331!

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
|                    |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |