Re: Pcmcia ne(4)/mii crash in -current

> On Jun 30, 2021, at 2:31 PM, Björn Johannesson <rherdware%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Hello again.
>
> We are really close now! :)
> We can now detach a card that has been used w/o kernel panic.
> Detaching a card that has not been used sends the detach event now.

Oh, great!  I’m glad that whatever else I fixed had the side-effect of fixing the detach event :-)

> [ 98.3646270] ne2 at pcmcia1 function 0: <D-Link, DFE-670TXD, PC Card>
> [ 98.4409853] ne2: Ethernet address 00:0d:88:40:68:0e
> [ 98.5046300] nsphyter0 at ne2 phy 1: DP83815/DP83846A 10/100 media interface, rev. 3
> [ 98.5952060] nsphyter0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
> [ 116.2049011] nsphyter0: detached
> [ 116.2413747] ne2: detached
>
> The only small thing remaining is the media status/carrier detect.
> This regression seems to have been introduced earlier (between 8 and 9).
> I compared it to a Thinkpad 240X (which runs netbsd8).
> If you do a "ifconfig ne2" the last output line in netbsd8 is
> media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> That line is missing in both -current and netbsd9.
> Trying to manually setting media in -current & netbsd9 gives
> # ifconfig ne2 media 100basetx
> ifconfig: SIOCGIFMEDIA: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Setting the media manually in netbsd8 works fine however.

Ok, I think I have an idea of what might be wrong here … but can you do me a favor, for completeness?  On netbsd-8, send me full output of “ifconfig -m ne2”, along with the same from your -current system.  There was a big overhaul / re-factor of ethernet-common ioctls that involved media settings, and I guess the dp8390 driver didn’t get the test coverage and thus broke in the process.  (This isn’t TOO shocking — those devices are increasingly rare… we all make a best-effort, but things invariably slip through the cracks.)

In the mean time, I am going to check in the “crashes the machine” fixes now.

Thanks so much for your patience working through the problems!

-- thorpej