Re: regarding the changes to kernel entropy gathering

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 10:54:51AM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Except.... it seems to be useless in practice without an initial seed,

Yes.

> And the stock implementation has no possibility of ever providing an
> initial seed at all on its own (unlike previous implementations, and of
> course unlike what my patch _affords_).

Isn't it as simple as:

	dd bs=32 if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/random

?

This is a one-time admin operation and it has to be an explicit choice.

Of course there are other possibilities to manualy transfer or create a
seed at installation time (and as has been noted, there once was a page
in sysinst that offered various ones, but was shot down due to user
interface complexity and overloading novice users with question they
were not expected to be able to answer).

Martin