Re: -current tar(1) breakage

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 01:15:15AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Yes, I think that the appropriate change is to make those assertions
> so if there is a broken filesystem/syscall there is a more obvious
> error (rather than infinite loop in read or core-dump in iconv), but let's
> see what joerg thinks about all that.

The infinite loops are perfectly reasonable behavior for broken kernel
input and found in other tools using the interface. IMO the kernel
should always do a sanity cap for puffs/fuse here.

The iconv coredump is a buffer overflow, but nothing libarchive can do
about. The memory allocated for the dirent is based on the namemax of
the filesystem and we kind of have to trust the filesystem to do what it
promised. The system call doesn't have a size argument...

Joerg