Re: How to determine if graphics is supported by radeondrm?

On Sat 20 Mar 2021 at 15:41:49 +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> HI all,
>
> On 18/03/21 10:03 am, Rhialto wrote:
> > For example, if I look at an "AMD Ryzen 3" cpu, which supposedly has
> > integrated graphics "AMD Radeon Vega 8, integrated GPU". Grepping -i for
> > "Vega" in src/sys/external/bsd/drm2/dist/drm yields no results; I take
> > it this is a bad sign?
>
> I booted a live image of 9.1 that I found on my Ryzen 3 laptop and it ends
> up running the Vesa driver with the "llvmpipe" OpenGL renderer. The Xorg log
> file shows that X thought about the AMD driver, but ended up using the VESA
> one. The log shows a long list of AMD GPU models, which looks like Xorg's
> way of saying that it doesn't know what model of AMD GPU I have.

Thanks for doing the experiment. I guess it tells us what I already
feared, that it doesn't do accelleration.

I think that the long list of AMD GPU models is simply always printed by
the AMD driver ("Look at all the models I support!") and then later it
decides if it really supports the GPU that's there. For instance on my
current box, it reports at some point after the long list:

[    34.593] (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 5450" (ChipID = 0x68f9)

(or maybe that's only because I have told X to use the Radeon driver and
not the modesetting driver...)

> Linux says the laptop has "AMD Ryzen 3 3300U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx"
> and Google tells me this is a Picasso/Radeon Vega 6.
>
> I found the file amdgpu_device.c with the amdgpu_asic_name definition at the
> top. NetBSD has many, many entries missing from this list. :-(
>
> I also tried my Intel based laptop, but I only had an MBR image and HP
> seemed to have removed the old BIOS boot option in their newer firmware so I
> couldn't even boot the image.

Thanks for doing the experiment!

> Lloyd
-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl