Re: bluetooth ubt0

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021, Ryo ONODERA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Iain Hibbert <plunky%ogmig.net@localhost> writes:

> > btw this is a 'RESET' command sent to the adapter as the first thing when
> > the device is marked up.

> > the meaning of the INIT_ flags is that they are set and then when the
> > RESET command is completed, we issue other commands and clear those flags
> > when they have completed. because the RESET did not complete, they are
> > still pending but I guess will not be issued.

> >> I have no idea about VID/PID=0x8087/0x0aaa.
> >> However newer ubt devices from Intel requires firmware loading.
> >>
> >> My VID/PID=0x8087/0x0026 requires its firmware and
> >> I have gotten same
> >> ubt0: autoconfiguration error: CommandComplete opcode (003|0003) failed (status=0x01)
> >> after btconfig ubt0 up.
> >
> > Do you have a reference for this?  We have nothing to handle any such
> > firmware loading that I know of; there is sysutils/bcmfw to do that for
> > Broadcom devices (but, they can operate as a Bluetooth device by default
> > just better with newer firmware)
>
> As far as I understand correctly, NetBSD's ubt device driver does not
> have firmware loading logic.
>
> See: FreeBSD's implementation:
> src/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/drivers/ubt/ng_ubt_intel.c
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/drivers/ubt/ng_ubt_intel.c
>
> prlw1@'s PID=0x0aaa is also listed there.
>
> And Linux has Intel firmware logics, for example:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.12-rc3/source/drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c#L2307
> Search 'firmware' string in this file.
>
> I wish someone could implement newer Intel ubt support.

Hm I can look into it - is it possible to buy one of these intel adapters
which is USB or do they only come built in to laptops etc?

From the comments at the top of the file, this seems to me a bad device
and I am surprised that it has passed qualification. It should not present
as a Bluetooth device if it is not one until it has firmware loaded.

There is a userland utility mentioned at least to load the firmware..

iain