Re: How to fall back to PIO for IDE CD's?

Hi,

> Can you elaborate on that part? I have
>
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <JLMS XJ-HD166S, , D3S4> cdrom removable
>
> in the SB2500 and something similar in the v210 but not sure I ever noticed
> problems (likely because I barely use CDs or DVDs nowadays).
>
> How to reproduce? Maybe we can fix it better in a different way?

I see the same on the V240.  If I try to read a DVD with mplayer on the
V240 or SPARCle in -9, I'll see "error reading" messages and it will fall
back to DMA then PIO and work.  In current, I just see the error messages
and can't read the DVD at all.  Adding the flags to my current kernel
configuration to make aceride only use PIO means that I can read DVD's
but the hard disk now uses PIO as well.  The dmesg there is:

  aceride0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller (rev. 0xc3)
  atabus0 at aceride0 channel 0
  atabus1 at aceride0 channel 1
  wd0 at atabus0 drive 0
  wd0: <IC25N040ATCS04-0>
  atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
  cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212, 234Q327001, 1013> cdrom removable

Regards,

Julian