Re: sponsor NetBSD for 2020 https://github.com/sponsors/NetBSD

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Indeed -- casting a wide net is in our interest.  I hope you are able
> to use one of our many potential donation offerings -- paypal, stripe,
> amazon smile, github sponsorship.. any I am missing?

Multiple channels is a good thing.

If a trust relationship exists between a donor and a site (one of
GitHub, GitLab, SourceForge, Bitbucket, GNU Savannah, PayPal, Amazon,
etc), then a donor can reach you.

I think the bad idea is, only rely on one channel. As an example, some
projects only provide a PayPal donation mechanism.I won't tolerate
PayPal's shitty service and I don't trust PayPal. I can't make a
donation.

NetBSD should consider Amazon, too. They have a program for donations
to nonprofits. Amazon is a big marketplace with lots of users. The
trust relationship is already in place for millions of potential
donors.

In fact, I think projects like NetBSD should sell their swag on Amazon
and eBay as a fund raiser. $10.00 for stickers, $20.00 for a coffee
mug, $30.00 for a tee-shirt, etc. Folks like me are happy to pay more
for the cool swag.

Jeff