Re: hang while updating pkg_rolling-replace libvdpau

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 12:19, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:
>
> > I finished updating all my core system to current on i386-64, kernel,
> > userland, etc.
> >
> > Now I launched pkg_rolling replace, it crunches through several
> > packages, but then hangs.
> >

> > I tried running it several times, rebooting in between... but
> > nothing. What is "hang" ? The CPU stays idle too. Hangs exactly there.
>
> pkg_rr is just a shell script.  As always, I ask that you see what order
> it does "make replace package clean" and then run the problematic
> command by itself, without pkg_rr, and then report that intead.
>
> (If you do find a bug in pkg_rr, of which there are many, please do
> report it.  But it is confusing to people to conflate what broke with
> the program that merely chose the sequence.)

In this case I don't think it is anything to do with
pkg_rolling-replace; I've reported a few of these hangs, which happen
to happen during pkg_rolling-replace, but involve most often cmake,
but other programs as well. Apparently there are similarities in the
traces, perhaps pointing to the thread model and execution. In all
these occasions the process in question continued to a successful
conclusion after attaching and then detaching with gdb.

--
----