Re: How long to build from source?

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 08:54:32AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Why do you need to know?   It will almost certainly be less than a day.
> Is that going to cause you do try netbsd, or not try netbsd?

As others have said, it highly depends on your hard disk and amount of
ram installed. Our build cluster takes ~7 hours to build all 67 ports
(including debug info), see https://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.cgi

A single port is faster:

	 build.sh started:    Fri May  8 04:51:23 UTC 2020
	 NetBSD version:      9.99.60
	 MACHINE:             amd64
	 MACHINE_ARCH:        x86_64
[..]
	 Successful make release
	 Successful make iso-image
	 Successful make install-image
	 build.sh ended:      Fri May  8 08:01:00 UTC 2020

Your machine likely will be slightly slower. A new machine and a build
without debug info will be lot faster.

But for trying, there is no need to compile the source
yourself, you can use the latest "daily" build from the build cluster:

	https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/latest/

Martin