Re: github.com/NetBSD/src 5 days old?

from "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst%netbsd.org@localhost>:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 12:20, <maya%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:30:48PM +1000, Paul Ripke wrote:
> > > I switched away from cvsup a while back, but I now see that github
> > > NetBSD/src mirror is now 5 days old. Known issue?

> > Yes, I believe joerg and spz are changing the conversion from
> > cvs->??->git to hg->git, to match what will be done once we stop using
> CVS.

> What's wrong with "??"?  I think it's pretty well-known that Fossil has
> been the intermediary repository in NetBSD's conversion from CVS to Git
> since 2011, and it would seem that https://src.fossil.netbsd.org/ is still
> up-to-date, FWIIW, whereas GitHub's src is 7 days behind.

> I thought the plan to move to HG hasn't been finalised yet, am I missing
> something?  Plus, why HG and not Fossil, if the end-result consumption is
> via Git anyways?

I was going to send this message even if not in response to Constantin Murenin's message.

I was led to Mercurial website (www.mercurial-scm.org) when reading about plans for Toybox, which is like a lesser BusyBox.

Mercurial has a problem which may be resolved in a future release, if it hasn't already: dependency on the deprecated Python 2.7.

So I don't think NetBSD should rush the switch to hg until hg is ready to build with Python >= 3.6.

There is no more upstream support for Python 2.x or 2.7, meaning any security vulnerabilities will not be fixed.

Tom